My grandmother used to feed this to my father when he was a boy. He loves it to this day. I remember the first time she cooked it for me. I thought it was odd - but then I tasted it and was sold for good! This is a GREAT alternative to eggs and toast! Even my picky husband and kids love it. Try it - you'll love it too!
1 or 2 large eggs
1 or 2 shredded wheat squares
boiling hot water
butter or margarine
salt and pepper to taste
Hint - one egg per one shredded wheat square.
1. Heat pan on medium high heat.
2. Place shredded wheat in a wide bowl or on a plate.
3. Boil water in a teakette or pot
4. Fry egg(s) to over easy - need the whites cooked and yolks should be runny (important!)
5. After you flip the eggs, pour the boiling or very hot water over the shredded wheat and immediately drain the water off in sink, holding them down with the spatula/flipper. You'll need to work FAST so the eggs don't get overcooked.
6. Place one tablespoon of butter or margarine on each shredded wheat.
7. Put cooked eggs on the shredded wheat.
8. Salt and pepper to taste
9. Use a fork to mix them up, mushing the yolk into the shredded wheat
This recipe was submitted by one of our readers and has not been tested by our food editors. We are not responsible for errors in this recipe, but if you find one, please let us know.