14 Responses to Granny’s Best Chicken Soup

1. Anonymous February 4, 2004 at 8:39 am #

This recipes is almost the way I make my soup. I also add a handful of rice and some egg noodles just to add a little extra volume. This is the kind of soup you can live off of, not just in the winter months, but anytime of the year; nothing feels better than warm chicken soup for your insides.

2. Anonymous February 9, 2004 at 5:42 pm #

This is good, but I learned to make Chicken Soup from my German motherin-law. She puts Parsley Root in the pot, adds the potatoes and carrots later. We then use just the stock, add very fine egg noodles cooked in it, and that is the soup. Then we eat the meat and veggies with a horseradish/sour cream sauce as the meal.

3. Anonymous October 26, 2005 at 9:47 am #

To add a Spanish flair, add small potato pieces and/or add corn or peas. Add pepper sauce for heat. Cut tortillas into tiny strips and just before serving cut avocado into eighths. Have made this for years.
    GREAT recipe. Thanks.

4. Anonymous January 24, 2007 at 1:30 am #

Very good. My grand children loved it, which should speak for itself.

5. Anonymous January 24, 2007 at 12:27 pm #

Just like my Mom made it. Well almost but very close.

6. Anonymous January 30, 2007 at 2:57 pm #

I have passed this recipe on to a lot of my friends! I love it. Thank you Almanac!

7. Anonymous January 30, 2007 at 11:52 pm #

This recipe leaves out ONE very important ingredient: PARSNIPS. The soup needs about 2 (1-inch in diameter) parsnips. They will add a special flavor that will give the soup that perfect touch that will allow you to nurse yourself back to health.

8. Anonymous January 31, 2007 at 4:45 pm #

Have made this soup many times, but never thought about adding parsnips, which I will do next time, since parsnips are one of my favorite veggies.

9. Anonymous March 2, 2007 at 1:59 pm #

I have made this whenever we start getting sick. It is truly the best!!! I would recommend it to anyone who has a cold or is getting sick. Try it, you will like it and feel better!!!

10. Anonymous January 30, 2008 at 6:58 am #

Love it!!

11. Anonymous December 9, 2008 at 1:15 pm #

About the only thing I’d add would be a half bunch of chopped dill. It is wonderful for chicken soup.

12. Anonymous July 10, 2009 at 5:59 pm #

I add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom to my chicken soup … it adds a light lemony flavor that is a nice change of pace.

13. Barbara Negron December 1, 2009 at 5:39 pm #

I added cubes of pumpkin. So scrumptious.

14. Paula February 15, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

I find using a chicken that has already been roasted adds a lot of flavor. I just make one for dinner, eat what we can, trim off the best meat for the soup and sandwiches, and then proceed with the 3 hour simmer.