Grated Beet-Apple Salad
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 3 medium beets, peeled3 medium apples, peeled and cored3/4 cup honey1 cup apple cider vinegar1 teaspoon salt1 lemon1/2 cup horseradish (medium or hot prepared)1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)cumin seeds or powder, to taste
1. Grate the beets and apples into a large bowl.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the honey with 1 cup of lukewarm water. Stir to dissolve the honey, and add the vinegar and salt. Pour the liquid over the beets and apples, and mix to coat.
3. Squeeze the lemon onto the mix, releasing the juice, the scrape out the lemon flesh, add, and stir. (Do not include the lemon seeds.) Add the horseradish and stir to mix it thoroughly.
4. Add the olive oil and grind cumin seeds or sprinkle cumin powder over the salad, to taste. Mix again lightly.
5. Serve immediately or later, chilled. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
–Tibor Csincsa, Mississauga, Ontario