Gratin of Snapper Florentine(Gratinata di pesce alla fiorentina)
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Instead of the traditional gefilte fish first course, try this creamy (but dairy-free) dish for Passover.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus extra for greasing
- 3 tablespoons finely ground matzo (sold as “cake meal”)
- 2 cups nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, julienned
- Kosher or sea salt and white pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 sheet matzo, coarsely crumbled
- 4 8-ounce snapper fillets (or other firm white fish)
Instructions:Heat oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine 3 tablespoons olive oil and cake meal, stirring until a smooth paste forms. Cook 3 minutes. Whisk in nondairy milk and vegetable stock, and raise heat to bring to a boil. The sauce will thicken considerably. Remove from heat; add spinach and blend well. Season with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and set aside.
In a bowl, combine crumbled matzo and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Work the mixture with your fingers to form a semi-wet consistency.
Grease a casserole dish with oil. Cover the bottom of the dish with 1/2 cup of sauce. Place fish over the sauce and spoon remaining sauce over the fish. Top with crumbled matzo.
Bake 20 minutes, until the fish breaks when a fork is inserted on the bottom and lifted. Serve at once.