Green Bean Salad
- 1 pound green beans, whole
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Instructions:1. Drop the beans into a large pot of boiling, salted water and cook, uncovered, at a gentle bubble for 6 to 8 minutes or just until crisp-tender. Drain in a colander set under cold running water. Distribute the beans over absorbent paper and pat dry. Place in a shallow serving dish.
2. Fry the bacon until crisp, then dram on absorbent paper. Reserve the bacon fat.
3. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Add the shallot and stir over medium heat until tender. Blend in the vinegar, tarragon, sugar, salt, and pepper. Remove from the heat, stir in the chives, and pour over the green beans. Crumble the bacon over the beans and serve at room temperature.