Green Cabbage and Apples
Yield: Serves 4
Green cabbage, sauteed in bacon fat, makes a hearty cold-weather dish that goes well with venison or roast goose.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tart apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 medium-size green cabbage, shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Instructions:1. Melt the bacon fat in a large skillet. Add the onion and apples and toss to coat. Stir over medium heat until the onion is limp. Sprinkle on the flour and continue stirring until the mixture foams. Pour in the water and vinegar. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Stir in the sugar.
2. Add the cabbage, stirring to coat, then drop in the bay leaf. Reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cabbage is crisp-tender. Remove the bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.