Green Tomato Mincemeat
Yield: 8 pints
Yet another family recipe. also makes a very tasty pie for the holidays or anytime.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 20 apples of your choice (macs are very good)
- 20 green tomatoes (must not show any signs of ripening)
- 5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 5 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 5 cups sugar
- 5 teaspoons butter
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2-3 cups of raisins
Instructions:Core and peel apples.
Cut tomatoes into chunks.
Run the tomatoes and apples through a grinder with a coarse blade. (Do not use a food processor).
Add spices and raisins and bring to a boil for 15-20 minutes.
Seal in clean jars using the hot pack method. The longer it sets the better the taste.