Grilled Baby Vegetables with Garlic-Saffron Butter
Total Time: 30
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 2 tablespoons table salt, plus extra for vegetables
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 pound whole baby zucchini
- 1 pound whole baby pattypan squash
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic-Saffron Butter (see accompanying recipe)
Instructions:Bring a large (5- to 6-quart) pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons salt. Add carrots, zucchini, and squash; cook just until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes (carrots may need an additional few minutes, depending on thickness). Drain. Plunge vegetables into ice water to stop cooking; drain.
Place 12 wooden skewers in water to cover; let soak 10 minutes. Meanwhile, set up your grill for direct medium heat (about 350˚).
Thread vegetables onto skewers. Brush with oil; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Grill vegetables 4-5 minutes each side, or to desired degree of doneness. Serve warm with Garlic-Saffron Butter.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (such as Pinot Grigio)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 11/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:Try this flavored butter on anything grilled: veggies, chicken, fish, or bread.
In a small (1- to 2-quart) saucepan over medium high heat, warm wine until just steaming, 4-5 minutes. Pour into a heatproof cup; sprinkle saffron threads over top and stir. Set aside.
Return saucepan to heat; add olive oil and garlic. Cook, stirring, until garlic is translucent, 3-4 minutes. Pour saffron/wine mix back into pan and whisk together; then set aside to cool.
Using an electric or standing mixer, beat butter, parsley, salt, and pepper at medium speed until blended. Gradually add in wine mixture, beating until liquid is incorporated. Chill in an airtight container until firm, at least 40 minutes.Yield: about 1-1/2 cups