grilled chicken teriyaki
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 5 ounces each), trimmed, boned, and skin slashed (see illustrations below)
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium clove garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- To keep the skin on the chicken crisp, hold back the teriyaki sauce until serving time.
Instructions:2. While grill heats up, combine soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and garlic in small saucepan; stir together mirin and cornstarch in small bowl until no lumps remain, then stir mirin mixture into saucepan. Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup and forms syrupy glaze, about 4 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
3. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Place chicken skin side up in single layer on center of grill over roasting pan. Cover and cook until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thighs registers 170 degrees, 15 to 20 minutes. Flip chicken and move pieces to sides of grill, directly over coals. Grill until skin is browned and crisp, about 5 minutes, moving chicken back to center of grill if flare-ups occur.
4. Transfer chicken to cutting board; let rest 2 to 3 minutes. Cut meat crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Transfer chicken to serving platter; stir teriyaki sauce to recombine, then drizzle to taste over chicken. Serve immediately, passing remaining sauce separately.