Grilled Pizza Margherita
Total Time: 45
Yield: 1 large pizza or 4 small pizzas
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, plus extra as needed and extra for work surfaces
- 1 package (or 2 teaspoons) rapid-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher or sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 cup water plus 1—2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium-size ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large ball fresh mozzarella (packed in water), thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup packed fresh whole basil leaves
- Coarse kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
Instructions:Combine flour, yeast, and salt in a food processor. Turn machine on; add oil and 1 cup water through feed tube. Process about 30 seconds, adding more water, a little at a time, until mixture forms a ball and is slightly sticky. If it’s dry, add another 1—2 tablespoons of water and process 10 seconds longer.
Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead by hand a few seconds to form a smooth, round ball. Place dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let rise until doubled, 1—2 hours. (You may let dough rise more slowly in refrigerator, 6—8 hours.) Deflate and divide into 2—4 pieces, depending on how many pies you want to make; roll each into a round ball. Place balls on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle with a little flour, and cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Let rest until puffed, about 20 minutes.
Set up your grill for direct medium heat, with grate about 4 inches above heat source. Roll or lightly press each dough ball to a f lat round. Let rounds sit a few minutes to relax dough and make it easier to roll out. Transfer dough to a well-floured pizza peel; roll or pat dough out as thinly as you like, turning occasionally to prevent sticking.
Place dough directly on grill. Grill until nicely browned on bottom, about 5 minutes. Brush with oil and f lip. Top pie with tomato slices, mozzarella, basil leaves, salt, and Parmesan. Drizzle with more oil. Cover and cook until cheese melts. Garnish and serve.