Yield: Serves 6
Read more about the history of Harvard Beets and how to prepare them!
- 3 medium beets (about 2 pounds), ideally a mix of red, yellow, and chioggia colors
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375° and put a rack in the middle of the oven. Wash and trim the beets, leaving an inch of leaf stems and all the root.
- Wrap the beets tightly in aluminum foil and put in the oven. Roast until fork-tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, peel using a small knife or your fingers, then slice into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
- In a double boiler over medium heat, whisk together sugar, salt, vinegar, cornstarch, and cloves. Cook, stirring gently, until the mixture is clear.
- Add sliced beets, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove cloves and add butter just before serving.