Hearty Kale, Bean, and Zucchini Soup
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
This recipe for Hearty Kale, Bean, and Zucchini Soup is nice change from ordinary soups and stews and a real crowd pleaser.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 package (1 pound) dried beans for soup
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken, beef, ham, or vegetable stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce or stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups kale leaves, washed, stemmed, and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the beans and soak in water to cover for several hours or overnight. Drain, rinse again, and put into a soup kettle. Add the onions, garlic, and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, or until the beans are cooked through but still retain some texture. Add the tomato sauce, kale, and zucchini. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on how much texture you like. Add the cilantro. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
Variation: Add 1/4 pound sliced, cooked kielbasa or other smoked sausage before serving.