Hearty Kale, Bean, and Zucchini Soup
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
This recipe for Hearty Kale, Bean, and Zucchini Soup is nice change from ordinary soups and stews and a real crowd pleaser.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 package (1 pound) dried beans for soup
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 cups chicken, beef, ham, or vegetable stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce or stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups kale leaves, washed, stemmed, and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the beans and soak in water to cover for several hours or overnight. Drain, rinse again, and put into a soup kettle. Add the onions, garlic, and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, or until the beans are cooked through but still retain some texture. Add the tomato sauce, kale, and zucchini. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on how much texture you like. Add the cilantro. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
Variation: Add 1/4 pound sliced, cooked kielbasa or other smoked sausage before serving.