Heirloom Tomato and Garden Herb Salad
Total Time: 20
Yield: 6 servings
This simple, beautiful recipe comes from Rose Willett of Fiddlehead Farm on Martha’s Vineyard. For maximum effect, she favors a mix of heirloom and other long-established tomatoes, such as ‘Lemon Boy’, ‘Marglobe’, ‘Green Zebra’, and ‘Cherokee Purple’. Note that if you can’t find sorrel, you may substitute additional arugula or some baby spinach.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into half-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher or sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh fennel tops (optional)
- 1 cup arugula, sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 cup sorrel, sliced into ribbons
- 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:Arrange tomatoes on a large serving platter, or equal portions on four plates.
Drizzle with 11/2 tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let rest 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, gently combine herbs, arugula, and sorrel with balsamic vinegar and remaining oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Distribute herb mixture over center of tomatoes and serve.
** adapted from Rose Willett, Fiddlehead Farm