Hot Spiced Olives
Total Time: 10
Yield: 4 cups
This Hot Spice Olive dish perfumes the whole house with its rich scent, and it takes very little prep time.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 4 cups Kalamata olives with pits, drained
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (reserve strips of zest for garnish)
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs such as marjoram, rosemary, and parsley (or substitute 2 tablespoons dried herbs)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large baking dish (I use a 12-inch round clay baker), lay olives in a single layer. Mix in all ingredients, cover tightly with foil, and bake 1 hour (stir halfway through baking). Uncover last 10 minutes of baking.
Serve warm, mounded in a decorative bowl, and garnished with strips of lemon zest and chopped fresh herbs. Serve with toothpicks and a bowl for the pits.
- Thin strips of lemon zest and chopped mixed fresh herbs