Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 45
Avocados add a wonderful and unexpected creaminess to this vegan Indian Eggplant curry. Even meat eaters will appreciate its heartiness.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (preferably hot)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons currants
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 pounds eggplant (about 2 medium-size eggplants)
In a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil; add onion, avocado, and spices, and sauté 10 minutes. Then add tomatoes, tomato paste, currants, and lemon juice. Simmer 10 minutes; then turn off heat.
Peel eggplants and cut into 1/2-inch slabs. Brush with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and grill until soft and dark brown. Mash eggplant and mix well into sauce. Reheat and serve with brown rice.