Irish Tea Bread
Yield: Serves 15 to 20.
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 2 cups dark raisins
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup cold breakfast tea
- 1/2 cup Irish whiskey
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Grated rind of 1 medium-sized lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon honey dissolved in a little warm water, for glazing
Instructions:Combine the golden and dark raisins, sugar, tea, and whiskey in a large bowl. Cover and let soak overnight or about 12 hours.
Add the flour, eggs, baking powder, lemon rind, nutmeg, and allspice to the raisin mixture, blending well.
Pour into a greased 9- or 10-inch round cake pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 80 to 90 minutes or until nicely browned or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove the bread from the pan and let cool on a wire rack. Brush the cooled loaf with the warm honey mixture for a shiny glaze.