Italian Stuffed Shells
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Italian food is always popular at a potluck. Watch these well-seasoned Italian Stuffed Shells disappear from the table. This is another convenient do-ahead dish that can be pulled out of the refrigerator and baked just before serving.
- 1 package (12 ounces) jumbo shells
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta or low-fat cottage cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- Garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper to taste
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
Cook the shells according to the package directions. Drain, then cover with cold water and set aside.
In a nonstick skillet, brown the meats. Drain off the excess fat. Then add the ricotta and mozzarella and the seasonings to taste.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan. Remove the shells from the water, fill with the meat-and-cheese mixture, and place in the baking pan. Cover with the sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve hot.