Updated Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011
Yield: Serves 6
Serve warm wedges of this custard-like kohlrabi and bacon tart for brunch or offer cold as picnic fare.
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the kohlrabies and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Add the water and stir over medium heat until the kohlrabies are limp and the liquid is evaporated. Remove from the heat.
2. Fry the bacon until crisp and transfer to absorbent paper. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan. Add the onion and toss to coat. Sprinkle on the sugar and stir over medium heat until the onion is golden. Mix in the kohlrabies.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Break the cooked bacon into bite-size pieces and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and cream. Stir in the kohlrabi mixture, bacon, and Gruyere cheese. Pour the mixture into the prepared pastry shell and bake for 25 minutes or until the surface is partially set. Sprinkle the tart with Parmesan cheese and continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
1. To prepare the pastry shell, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to blend thoroughly and add the butter and shortening. Cut in with a knife or pastry blender until the lumps of fat are reduced to the size of tiny peas.
2. Gradually sprinkle in the water, tossing the mixture constantly. When the mixture begins to hold together, gather it into a ball and roll it around the inside of the bowl to pick up any stray particles. Enclose in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 425°. Roll out the dough and transfer to a 9-inch tart pan or quiche dish. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork and line the pastry with aluminum foil. Pour in 1 pound of dried beans or distribute pie weights over the foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove the weights and foil and set the pastry shell aside. Do not prick a second time.
In this issue: Summer Off the Beaten Path
Comments maybe edited for length and clarity.
©2013, Yankee Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Yankee Publishing Inc., | P.O. Box 520, Dublin, NH 03444 | (603) 563-8111