Total Time: 25
Yield: about 3 dozen cookies
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted margarine
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup corn oil
- 5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon Greek vanilla (granulated)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups flour
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, to coat the cookies
Instructions:Heat oven to 350°. In a standing mixer, cream together 1 stick each of margarine and butter. At slow speed, add oil; then speed up and mix until smooth. Lower speed and add confectioners' sugar; then speed up to mix. Add eggs and blend until smooth. Add vanilla and mix well, about 5 minutes. Add walnuts and baking powder and mix another minute.
Add flour, one cup at a time, mixing well between additions. Turn mixer off and finish mixing by hand until dough is a solid lump (not too sticky, but not dry and crumbly). Let it rest 15 minutes.
Roll dough into 1-inch balls and press onto ungreased baking sheets until they're about 1/2-inch thick. Bake 20 minutes, until slightly golden. Cool about 5 minutes on baking sheets. Then gently, but thoroughly, dredge them in confectioners' sugar. Serve warm for the most delicious flavor.