Latkes (Potato Pancakes)
Total Time: 60
Yield: 10-12 pancakes
- 4 large russet (baking) potatoes
- 1 medium-size onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus extra to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Fresh chives
Peel and grate potatoes and onion. Transfer to a sieve or kitchen towel and squeeze out excess water. Be aggressive; you want as little moisture as possible.
In a large bowl, combine grated mixture, egg, baking powder, flour, salt, and pepper. Pour about 1/2 inch oil into a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Drop batter into skillet a scant 1/4 cup at a time (don't crowd the pan). Flatten gently; don't push potatoes too hard into oil.
Cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Fry rest of potato mixture in batches, adding oil as needed. Drain on paper towels and season as needed with additional salt.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or applesauce (or both) and fresh chives.