Leek 'Pasta' with Garlicky Shrimp
Total Time: 60
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 4 large, long leeks
- 1-1/2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup toasted unseasoned bread crumbs
Trim root tip and all but 3 inches off green ends of leeks (you should have at least 10 inches of usable leeks). Split leeks in half lengthwise and place in a large bowl of cold water. Wash leeks gently but thoroughly, separating the layers. Remove from water and dry completely.
Spread each layer open as much as possible without splitting. Pass layers carefully, one at a time, through the spaghetti setting of your pasta machine (tough outer pieces may take awhile). Chop small inner layers into 1/4-inch pieces. Place cut leeks into a large bowl of chilled water and set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cover.
Warm a large saut