Maine Shrimp Puffs
Total Time: 20
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 (approx.) cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) raw Maine shrimp, peeled
- Vegetable oil
- Kosher or sea salt
- Quick Garlic & Herb Aioli (see accompanying recipe)
Instructions:In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add lemon zest, herbs, and pepper. Set aside.
Pour lemon juice into a clear liquid measuring cup, then add enough milk to equal 1/3 cup liquid total. Use a fork to whisk egg into milk/juice mixture.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in shrimp.
Into a deep, heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 inches oil. When the oil reaches 350°, slip scant tablespoons of the batter-and-shrimp mixture into it and cook until golden, 2—3 minutes.
Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel, and season with salt while still hot.
Serve with Quick Garlic & Herb Aioli.
Quick Garlic & Herb Aioli
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, freshly minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot (or red onion)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Few drops Tabasco
Instructions:Mix all ingredients (add more of each herb to taste if you like). Chill.
Serve alongside Maine Shrimp Puffs.