manly Mexican bites
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- Manly Mexican Bites
- 24 ounces chorizo or other hot sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 4 large fresh jalapenos, stems and ends removed, cut into 20 slices about
- 1/4-inch thick each
- 12 corn tortillas
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Spicy Sour Cream Dip, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, stirring, until
browned and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, garlic,
Essence, and chili powder, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, 3
to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a bowl, combine the cheeses.
Place 4 tortillas on a work surface. Top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of
the sausage mixture.
Top each with some cheese and a few jalapeno slices and top with another
Add another layer of sausage, cheese, and jalapeno finishing with 1 more
tortilla. Each stack should be 3 tortillas and 2 layers of filling.
Press firmly down on the top of each stack.
Lightly oil the grill or griddle and cook the stacks for about 3 minutes per
side, or until the tortillas are golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cut
each into 4 pieces.
Place on a serving platter and garnish with the cilantro. Serve hot with
Spicy Sour Cream Dip, if desired.