Maple Nut Bars
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Total Time: 25
These sweets have a maple shortbread crust and a topping not unlike pecan pie. For best results, have all ingredients at room temperature. Granulated maple sugar is sold in specialty stores.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup granulated maple sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pan
- 3/4 cup maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
- 1 large egg, beaten, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts
Instructions:Preheat oven to 350°. Make the crust: Whisk together 1-1/2 cups flour and 1/3 cup maple sugar; then cut in softened butter. Using a standing mixer, or a fork if you're working by hand, blend until mixture resembles coarse meal, dry and crumbly. Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 8- or 9-inch square pan. Bake 15 minutes.
To make the topping, combine 3/4 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup maple sugar, beaten egg, melted butter, cream, vanilla, 1 tablespoon flour, and salt. Beat well; then stir in nuts. Pour batter carefully over half-baked crust.
Return crust and topping to the oven. Bake until set, about 35 minutes. Cut into small bars and remove from pan to cool.