Maple Syrup-Roasted Parsnip Bisque
Total Time: 30
Yield: 8 large servings or 20 appetizer portions
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2-1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra to taste
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, divided
- 8 cups water
- 1 large carrot, cut into thirds
- 1/2 medium-size onion
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, plus extra to taste
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups heavy cream
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss parsnips with oil, salt, and 1/4 cup maple syrup. Spread on a baking sheet and roast about 30 minutes, or until parsnips are golden brown and softened. As parsnips are roasting, bring water to a boil. Place carrot, onion, parsley, bay leaves, and peppercorns on a double layer of cheesecloth. Wrap and tie securely, and add to water. Bring to a boil; then lower to simmer 30 minutes.
Remove parsnips from oven and add to vegetable-infused water. Add remaining maple syrup, white pepper, and salt to taste. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Discard cheesecloth bundle.
Using a food processor or immersion blender, puree parsnips and broth. Add cream and simmer another 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.