Marlborough Baked Apples
Yield: Serves 6
- 6 large baking apples (Cortland, Winesap, Red Rome, of Golden Delicious)
- 3./4 cups granola, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup honey, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fruit juice (apple, nectarine, etc.)
Instructions:Core the apples, making the hole large because the filling is so good!
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the granola, the dates or raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg with 4 tablespoons of the honey. Spoon the filling into the apples and place them in a shallow baking pan.
Combine the remaining honey with the butter, lemon juice, and fruit juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over the apples, cover the pan with aluminum foil, and bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for about 10 minutes.
Remove the cover and baste the apples. Continue baking for about 20 more minutes or until done (they should feel tender when pricked with a fork). Place the apples in individual serving bowls and top each with the remaining 1/4 cup granola and juice from the baking pan. Serve warm.