mocha-java ice cream bombe
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Prep: 40 minutes Freeze: 9 hours
- Mocha Java Ice-Cream Bombe
- 1/4 cup hot strong coffee
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 18 to 20 purchased Ladyfingers, split in half horizontally
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 pint coffee ice cream
- 1 recipe Coffee Hot Fudge Sauce (see recipe below) or 1-1/2 cups fudge
- ice-cream topping (optional)
1. Chill two medium mixing bowl. Line a 5-cup round-bottomed bowl or mold
with plastic wrap, letting the edges of the wrap hang over the sides of the
bowl or mold.
2. In a shallow bowl combine the hot coffee, coffee liqueur (if desired),
and the 1 teaspoon sugar; stir to dissolve sugar. Brush rounded sides of
ladyfingers with the coffee mixture.
3. Line the bottom and sides of the bowl or mold with Ladyfingers, placing
the rounded side outward. Fill any gaps with ladyfinger trimmings so that
the lining is solid. Drizzle with any remaining coffee mixture. Reserve
remaining ladyfingers. Cover and chill the lined bowl or mold until needed.
4. In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, the 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla
with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy; set aside.
5. In 1 of the chilled bowls stir vanilla ice cream, pressing it against the
side of the bowl with a spoon, just until softened (do not let ice cream get
6. Immediately fold the softened vanilla ice cream and chocolate pieces into
the cream cheese mixture; cover and freeze for 3 to 4 hours or until stiff,
stirring mixture occasionally so chips don't sink. Spread cream cheese
mixture over the ladyfingers in the bowl or mold, spreading up the sides, to
make a lining. Cover with heavy foil and freeze for 2 to 4 hours or until
7. In the other chilled bowl soften coffee ice cream as directed for vanilla
Spoon on top of the cream cheese mixture, spreading smoothly. Cover surface
of the bombe completely with the remaining ladyfingers. Fold excess plastic
wrap over surface. Cover tightly with heavy foil. Freeze until firm or up to
8. To serve, remove foil and invert bombe onto a serving platter; remove
bowl or mold and plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30
minutes to soften slightly before cutting.
9. Meanwhile, if desired, in a small saucepan heat and stir the Coffee-Hot
Fudge Sauce or fudge ice-cream topping. Cut the bombe into wedges and
transfer to dessert plates. Drizzle each wedge with some of the sauce; pass
any remaining sauce. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Coffee-Hot Fudge Sauce:
Place 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/4 cup butter in a
small heavy saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
Add 2/3 cup sugar and 4 teaspoons instant coffee crystals. Gradually stir in
one 5-ounce can evaporated milk.