Yield: 4 to 6 servings
A make-ahead side dish that's not only tasty but also low in fat and calories. A food processor greatly speeds up the shredding process.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or a mixture of cabbage and carrots
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, finely chopped
- mayonnaise, regular or low-fat
Instructions:The day before you plan to serve this coleslaw, combine the sugar, gelatin, and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl. Stir in the hot water and continue to stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir in the vinegar, lemon juice, and cold water. Chill in the refrigerator until the mixture just begins to set; it should mound slightly on a spoon. Fold in the vegetables and pour into a 4-cup mold. Refrigerate overnight.
To serve, unmold on a bed of lettuce and serve with mayonnaise.