Nana’s Pot Roast
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- flour, to dust beef
- 3 pounds bottom beef round rump roast
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) cream of mushroom soup
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 to 12 boiling onions
Instructions:Preheat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Meanwhile, dust the roast with flour. When the oil comes just to the smoking point, add the roast and brown it on all sides. In a separate bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups water, dry soup mix, and mushroom soup. Add this to the Dutch oven, then add the vegetables. Cover tightly. Place in a 300°F oven and cook for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 140°F.
Additional Notes:IF YOU'RE USING A SLOW COOKER
Prepare the ingredients as above. Brown the roast in a skillet, then put it into the slow cooker with the soup mixture and vegetables. Cook on low for 8 hours. Note: The vegetables will be soft. If you prefer crunchy vegetables, steam or blanch them separately prior to serving, adding 2 tablespoons of beef base for slow-cooked flavor.