Nancy's Greek Eggplant Pudding
Total Time: 60
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 medium to large eggplants
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (approximately), divided
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Peel eggplants and slice into half-inch rounds. Place in a colander and salt each layer. Let stand 45 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and dry. Place eggplant slices on oiled baking sheets and turn to coat both sides in oil. Bake, about 30 minutes, or until eggplant is softened.
In a small sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil, until onion is translucent. In a small mixing bowl, whisk eggs thoroughly. Mix in the crumbled feta, oregano, and onion/garlic mix.
Place a single layer of eggplant in an oiled three-quart baking dish. Pour about a third of the egg mixture on top. Repeat, building single layers, ending with egg mixture as the last layer. Bake about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into it comes out clean.