Nick Stellino's Pasta Matriciana
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 3 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons Bertolli Extra Virgin(tm) or Bertolli Classico(tm) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 6 ounces sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 pound pasta: penne, ziti, or rigatoni
- 5 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
Instructions:Bring water to boil in large pot. Heat the olive oil and the garlic in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until the garlic starts to brown, about 2 or 3 minutes.
Add the bacon, onions, and red pepper flakes; cook until bacon begins to brown and onions soften. Pour in the red wine and stir up any brown bits that might be clinging to the bottom of the pan. Boil until the wine is reduced by half.
Add the tomato sauce, chicken stock, and chopped basil. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Drain well, then return to the pot. Pour sauce over pasta and cook, stirring, 3 minutes over medium heat, until the sauce is absorbed. Add the cheese. Toss well and serve.