Total Time: 40
Yield: about 1/3 cup
- 7 large eggs
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, stem ends discarded
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or sea salt (preferably fleur de sel)
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, (preferably Indian Tellicherry)
- 3 pounds fresh tuna (about 6 ounces per serving)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch radishes (about 6), thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound mixed olives or Nicoise olives
- 2-3 heads lettuce (preferably mixed varieties)
- Simple Vinaigrette
Instructions:Place eggs in a single layer in a non-aluminum saucepan. Add water to cover 1 inch above eggs. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. Peel and slice in half.
Blanch green beans: Boil about 7 minutes, until bright green and crisp-tender; then plunge immediately into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
Sprinkle salt and pepper over tuna on both sides; press seasonings into the flesh.
Pour olive oil into a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sear tuna well, creating a peppery crust, about 3 minutes. Turn tuna over carefully and repeat.
Remove tuna to a platter. After about 10 minutes, slice and arrange it. Add little piles of green beans, radishes, and eggs. Add little piles of olives around and in between other ingredients.
In a separate salad bowl, toss lettuce with enough Simple Vinaigrette to coat. Place a pile of lettuce leaves on each of 8 plates; guests may select tuna and toppings from the large platter.
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Kosher or sea salt (preferably fleur de sel)
- Freshly ground black pepper (preferably Indian Tellicherry)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Instructions:Combine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir to dissolve salt.
Drizzle olive oil in slowly, whisking constantly, to form an emulsion.