Old Granite Inn Ginger Scones
Total Time: 30
Yield: 8 scones
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided, plus extra for work surface
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup raw or granulated sugar
Instructions:Preheat oven to 400˚. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, orange zest, and ginger until evenly mixed. Add remaining all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter. Process until mixture has the consistency of coarse meal. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
In a separate bowl, lightly beat 1/2 cup cream, vanilla, and egg. Combine with flour/butter mixture and stir; mixture will be crumbly. Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface. Form into a ball and knead just until dough sticks together; don’t overwork.
Transfer to a baking sheet and pat out into a circular disc about 1-1/2 inches high. Cut disk into 8 wedges; don’t separate them. Brush with remaining cream and sprinkle with raw sugar.
Bake until scones are golden brown and an inserted knife comes out clean, 18—20 minutes.