Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Parmesan-crusted cubes of french bread floating atop a flavorful broth filled with yellow onions make this easy recipe for Onion Soup extra special.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds yellow onions, sliced thin (about 7 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 quarts beef, chicken, or vegetable stock
- pepper, to taste
- French bread slices or cubes (optional)
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Melt butter in a 5-quart stockpot, then add oil, onions, and salt. Saute over low heat for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle flour over onions and cook a few more minutes. Transfer onions to a dish, add stock to the pot, and heat to simmering. Return onions to pot and simmer 30 minutes. Just before serving, toast French bread and add to soup. You can sprinkle grated cheese on the bread, or on the soup itself. Melt the cheese under the broiler, if desired.