Yield: Serves 6-8.
- 2 2-pound broiler-fryers, cut up, with giblets
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 carrot, cut in small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green pepper, cut in julienne strips
- 1 teaspoon crumbled saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 dozen whole clams
- 1-1/2 cups raw, long-grain white rice
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound shrimp, cooked, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Instructions:In a large saucepan, combine the chicken giblets, 1/2 teaspoon salt, carrot, onion, bay leaf, parsley, black peppercorns and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
While this is cooking, slowly heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven or paella pan. Slowly brown the chicken in the hot oil, a few pieces at a time. Remove from the oil.