Homemade Parsnip Pie
Yield: Makes 1 pie
Puréed parsnips, lightened with whipped egg whites, create a moist, delicate pie filling. Serve with nutmeg-flavored whipped cream if you like.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup medium or whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups mashed, cooked parsnips (1 pound)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 9-inch partially baked pie shell
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cream until frothy. Stir in the parsnips, brown sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutmeg, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually beat in the granulated sugar. Add to the parsnip mixture and fold in. Pour into the prepared pie shell and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until firm. Serve warm or at room temperature.