Pasta & Beans
Yield: Makes 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Tip: A healthful combination of beans and greens makes this pasta dish evocative of the Italian countryside. By dropping the greens in the boiling water with the pasta, you've eliminated an extra step, and an extra pot to wash.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 ounces orecchiette, radiatore or other short pasta
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, stem ends trimmed, rinsed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
Instructions:1. Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not colored, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, oregano and crushed red pepper; cover and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to break down and release their juices, 5 to 10 minutes. Add beans, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water for 4 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and cook until the pasta is just tender and the broccoli rabe is tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta and broccoli rabe and place in a large bowl. Add the tomato mixture and the reserved cooking liquid; toss to coat. The dish should be slightly soupy. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.