Pasta with Garlic and Oil
- Salt (see note)
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (about 30 small, 20 medium, 10 large, or 5 extra-large cloves) from 1 or 2 heads
- 3/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Instructions:1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, set large heatproof serving bowl on rack, and heat oven to 200 degrees. Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water, stir to separate noodles, and cook until al dente; reserve 1/3 cup pasta cooking water and drain pasta.
2. While water is heating, combine 3 tablespoons oil, 3 tablespoons garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in heavy-bottomed nonstick 10-inch skillet. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until garlic foams and is sticky and straw-colored, 10 to 12 minutes. Off heat, add remaining tablespoon raw garlic along with hot red pepper flakes, parsley, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons pasta cooking water and stir well to keep garlic from clumping.
3. Transfer drained pasta to warm serving bowl; add remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and remaining reserved pasta cooking water and toss to coat. Add garlic mixture and