Pasta with Pesto Sauce, Potatoes & Green Beans
Total Time: 15
Yield: 6 servings
- 4-6 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 medium-size potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch diagonal pieces
- 1 pound trenette (or linguine)
- 1/2 cup Pesto Sauce
- Freshly grated Pecorino or Parmigiano-Reggiano
Instructions:In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add salt, potatoes, and green beans; cook until al dente (tender but firm), about 4 minutes.
Add pasta; stir well. Cover; bring water back to a boil. Uncover; cook pasta just until al dente, about 8 minutes.
Drain pasta and vegetables into a colander, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
Return pasta and vegetables to pot.
In a small bowl, combine Pesto Sauce with just enough reserved cooking water to create a smooth consistency.
Pour over pasta and vegetables and combine gently, mixing well, over low heat.
Transfer to a platter or bowl, garnish with cheese, and serve immediately, with extra cheese on the side.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, stems discarded
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for storage
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons grated Pecorino cheese
- Kosher or sea salt
Instructions:In the bowl of a food processor, pulse basil and garlic until mixture is coarse. With motor running, add oil in a slow, steady stream; sauce should be the consistency of ketchup. Add pine nuts; pulse until coarsely chopped.
Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in cheese and salt to taste.
Transfer sauce to a jar. Pour a thin layer of olive oil over sauce, cap the jar, and refrigerate. (Use a hot sterilized jar if you'll be storing it more than 4 days.)
Makes 2 cups.