Pea Pod Salad with Shrimp
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chilled pea pods and shrimp combine to create a memorable summer salad. Serve for luncheon or a light supper.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 8 ounces pea pods
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 12 black peppercorns
- 24 medium shrimp, raw, peeled, and deveined
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Boston lettuce
- Alfalfa sprouts
1. String and blanch the pea pods if necessary. Refrigerate until serving time.
2. In a nonreactive saucepan, combine the water, wine, oil, bay leaves, fennel seed, mustard seed, and peppercorns. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Increase the heat, bringing the mixture to a boll, and drop in the shrimp. Immediately cover the pan and remove it from the heat. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, then lift out the shrimp with a slotted spoon. Place in a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
3. Return the saucepan to high heat and reduce the liquid to 1/2 cup. Pour through a sieve and refrigerate until chilled.
4. Just before serving, combine the pea pods and shrimp in a large salad bowl. Add the onion rings and toss to combine. Season with salt. Whisk the lemon juice into the reduced liquid and pour over the salad. Toss to coat and spoon onto 4 glass salad plates lined with leaves of Boston lettuce. Scatter alfalfa sprouts over the top.