Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Hands On Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This is a classic crumble -- a crisp-topped fruit dessert, made more nutritious with the addition of oats, almonds, and whole-grain flour in the topping.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 6 large peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 10-12 ounces strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup millet flour, whole-wheat flour, or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar (or light-brown sugar)
- Zest of 1 small lemon, finely grated
- 1 1-inch length of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, diced, plus more for baking dish
- Garnish: vanilla yogurt, vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter an 8x8- or 11x7-inch baking dish; set aside.
In a large bowl, toss the fruit with the lemon juice, cornstarch, and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar; arrange in the prepared dish.
In another bowl, combine the flour, oats, sliced almonds, brown sugar, and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Add the lemon zest, ginger, and salt, and stir. Rub the butter into this mixture, working it between your fingers until crumbles form. Sprinkle over the fruit.Bake until the fruit bubbles and the top is nicely browned, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve lukewarm, topped with yogurt, ice cream, or whipped cream.