Perfect Piecrust (Single-Crust Pastry Dough)
Yield: 1 crust
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 9 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3—4 tablespoons ice water
Instructions:In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt until well combined.
Sprinkle butter over flour mixture, and use your fingers to work it in (rub your thumb against your fingertips, smearing the butter as you do). Stop when the mixture looks like cornmeal, with some pea-size bits of butter remaining.
Sprinkle 3 tablespoons ice water on top, and stir with a fork until dough begins to come together. If needed, add another tablespoon ice water.
Turn out onto a lightly f loured surface and knead three times, or just enough to make a cohesive dough–don’t overmix!
Gather into a ball; then press into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes.