Yield: Makes 4 pints.
This is an old family recipe from my Grandmother. Piccalilli is a mixed vegetable relish from the Pennsylvania Dutch.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 quart chopped cabbage (1 small head)
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower (1 medium head)
- 2 cups chopped green tomatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (4 small)
- 1 cup chopped sweet red peppers (2 small)
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon. ginger
- 2-1/2 cups vinegar
Combine chopped vegetables. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 4-6 hours in a cool place. Drain well. Combine vinegar, sugar and spices in a large saucepot. Simmer 10 minutes. Add vegetables; simmer 10 minutes. Bring to a boil. Pack hot into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.