Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Roast with apple cider, apples, and onions. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and saut
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 7 to 9 pound Picnic Shoulder or Boston Butt Pork Roast
- Kosher or Sea Salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, skinned, root attached and quartered
- 2 apples, peeled, pitted and quartered
- About 3 cups cabbage, sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
Instructions:Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Pat dry roast with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over high heat, heat oil and sear roast on all sides (about 3 minutes per side). Remove to a plate. Lower heat to medium. Add carrots and onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add apples. Place roast back in pan and nestle into the vegetables. Add stock and cider. Cover and place in oven for about 3 hours.
Remove the roast to a plate and with foil; let rest at least 10 minutes. Skim and discard the fat. Strain.