Roast with apple cider, apples, and onions. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and saut
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 7 to 9 pound Picnic Shoulder or Boston Butt Pork Roast
- Kosher or Sea Salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, skinned, root attached and quartered
- 2 apples, peeled, pitted and quartered
- About 3 cups cabbage, sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
Instructions:Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Pat dry roast with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over high heat, heat oil and sear roast on all sides (about 3 minutes per side). Remove to a plate. Lower heat to medium. Add carrots and onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add apples. Place roast back in pan and nestle into the vegetables. Add stock and cider. Cover and place in oven for about 3 hours.
Remove the roast to a plate and with foil; let rest at least 10 minutes. Skim and discard the fat. Strain.