8 ounces (240 g) smoked low-fat turkey sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
6 ounces (180 g) trimmed and chopped fresh spinach leaves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Hot pepper vinegar, optional
1. Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and place over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until light brown and soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add potatoes, marjoram, thyme and bay leaf to the saucepan. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chickpeas and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and let cool slightly.
3. Remove the bay leaf. In the food processor or blender, process the soup until smooth, working in batches.
4. Return the soup to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir sausage, spinach and pepper into soup. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes; stir often to prevent the soup from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls. Stir in hot pepper vinegar, if desired.
This recipe was submitted by one of our readers and has not been tested by our food editors. We are not responsible for errors in this recipe, but if you find one, please let us know.
We reserve the right to remove or edit comments that are offensive or disrespectful to our readers and/or writers, cannot be verified, lack clarity, or contain profanity. Your comments may be republished by Yankee Magazine across multiple platforms.