Portuguese Kale Soup
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 pound kale
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 6 cups beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small green cabbage, shredded
Instructions:1. Prepare the kale and tear the leaves into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large pot until the butter is melted. Add the onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and garlic and toss to coat evenly. Cover the pan and cook slowly until the onions are tender.
3. Pour in the beef broth and water. Add the chorizo, kidney beans, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook slowly for 30 minutes. Stir in the kale and cabbage and cook, uncovered, at a gentle bubble for 30 to 45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Ladle into warmed bowls and serve steaming hot.