Serve with a toss salad, green beans, buttered French bread, and instant tapioca pudding.
2 9 inch deep dish pie shells
1/3 pound lean stew beef
1/2 medium onions
1/3 cup flour
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
5 large potatoes
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (or enough to cover the pie filling)
1. Bake one deep-dish pie (bottom) crust in a 425 degree F oven until golden brown, set aside. Save the other crust to use as top.
2. Cut beef into bite-size pieces and cook in a saucepan on top of the stove. Chop the onions and bay leaf (remove bay leaf after cooking), and pepper, add to the meat. Add just enough water to cover. Then let water cook down so meat will brown. Drain water off meat, set aside.
3. Thin slice uncooked potatoes into the cooked pie shell, in layers. After each layer, add a layer of stew beef and sprinkle flour and paprika, until all potatoes and beef are used. Top layer should be sprinkled with the flour and paprika and dot with butter.
4. Pour the milk over the casserole.
5. Place top pie shell over pie
6. Bake at 350 degrees 20—25 minutes and until top is golden brown.
This recipe was submitted by one of our readers and has not been tested by our food editors. We are not responsible for errors in this recipe, but if you find one, please let us know.