Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium-size onion, peeled and grated
- 8 strips bacon, cooked, drippings reserved
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Instructions:Place the potatoes in a colander and toss with the salt. Let drain for 5 minutes, then press out any excess water. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Stir in the potatoes and grated onion. Press this mixture into an oiled 12-inch Dutch oven. Cook over 8 to 10 coals with 12 to 15 coals on the lid for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and brush the crust with the reserved bacon drippings. Cover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more.
Meanwhile, blanch the broccoli for 1 minute, rinse with cold water, and set aside. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the sliced onion and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the pepper and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes more, or until the mushrooms have given off their liquid. Toss the vegetables with the broccoli.
In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, 2 cups of the Cheddar, and oregano. Spread on the baked crust, cover with the vegetables, and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup Cheddar. Crumble the bacon on top and sprinkle with paprika. Cover the Dutch oven, return to the coals, and bake over 6 to 8 coals with 16 coals on the lid for 15 minutes.