Poulet Fine Champagne
Yield: Serves 4-6.
- 1 roasting chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), trussed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Fine Champagne Sauce (recipe follows)
Instructions:Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and tub all over with the softened butter. Place on its side in aw roasting pan and roast in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 15 minutes, basting occasionally. Turn on the other side and roast another 15 minutes. Turn breast side up and roast 15-20 minutes longer, still basting. Remove the trussing string, place chicken on a platter, and keep warm.
Pour off the fat that has accumulated in the roasting pan. Deglaze the pan with 1 cup of water. Melt all the solidified juices and pour into a saucepan through a fine strainer. Allow the liquid to reduce until it is as thick as jam. This is a meat glaze. Keep warm while you make the sauce.
Fine Champagne Sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock, homemade or canned
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 8 to 10 sprigs parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup champagne (or dry white wine)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup good cognac