Pumpkin Apple Soup
Yield: 8-10 servings
I was craving pumpkin soup and decided to create my own recipe rather than follow someone else's. This is the result and it was a hit at Thanksgiving dinner!
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 28-ounce can organic pumpkin
- 4 14-ounce cans broth (2 vegetable, 2 chicken)
- 1 14-ounce can cream coconut (not coconut milk, you can it at an Asian market)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
In large pot combine pumpkin, broth, and cream coconut over medium heat. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, salt and pepper.
In frying pan, sauté oil, onion, celery, carrots, bay leaf and garlic until soft (about 10 minutes) then remove bay leaf and transfer to pot.
In frying pan, sauté chopped apples until soft, then transfer to pot.
Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
Using hand blender, blend together contents of pot until uniform consistency, or puree in food processer and return to pot to cook over low heat for 45-60 minutes.
Cool and refrigerate overnight.
Heat, serve and enjoy!